I am still trying to bake lol haven’t given up yet. I was a little afraid that this might be beyond my skill level to have chocolate and vanilla swirls in a cake! Too technical – but it was doable and I think it was a success!
I reduced the sugar of the original recipe which required 200g – for me the sweetness was fine, It is dry on it’s own but really nice when combined with custard!
- 200g Self Raising Flour
- 100g Granulated Sugar
- 2 x Sachets of Vanilla Sugar (You can find this in an international store)
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 4 Tbsp Sunflower Oil
- 5 Eggs Separated
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Separate the egg whites from the yolk and beat the egg whites with the salt until they are white, stiff and fluffy
- Add the vanilla sugar - they add the graduated sugar 1 spoon at a time whilst whisking - you should have a shiny white fluff!
- Mix the oil into the egg yolks and then slowly fold this into the egg whites
- Mix the baking powder with the flour and slowly fold it into the egg white mix
- Once the ingredients are all combined, split it into 2 and add the cocoa powder to one portion
- In a lined baking time (use grease proof paper) - spoon each mixture in, alternating between the colours
- Bake for 35 minutes at 175oc fan - check the center with a knife or a toothpick to make sure it comes out clean
- Enjoy with milk or custard!