Meatballs, Eggplant / Aubergine, Tomato Sauce, Win!!
I watched a video for this recipe on the ‘all recipes’ website and thought it looked nice & doable.
I made a few tweaks to make it less syns for slimming world, for example I used tin tomatoes instead of marinara sauce and lean beef mince instead of lamb. The taste was lovely and me nan even asked for another meatball!
I had this with a small portion of pasta making it a completely syn free meal!
- 1kg Lean Beef Mince
- 1 Large Aubergine, chopped into small cubes
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 x 400g tin of tomatoes
- 1 Large Onion, diced
- 4 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 Egg
- 1 Chicken Stock Cube
- 1 Beef Stock Cube
- 4 Tbsp Cajun Spice Powder
- 1 Tbsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tbsp of Mixed Herbs
- For the Sauce
- Heat the oil in the frying pan and add the chopped aubergine
- Fry for about 10 minutes on medium heat then add the half the onions, half the garlic, tin tomatoes, chicken stock (made with 300ml of boiling water), cayenne pepper, mixed herbs and leave to simmer
- For the meatballs
- Beat the egg and add the Cajun Spice Powder & The Beef Stock (flaked in with your fingers)
- Add this mixture to the beef along with the onions and garlic
- Mix together and then make circle shapes
- Bake in the oven at 180oC on a tray for 15 minutes and then add to the sauce and leave to cook for a further 30 minutes