I felt like trying something simple today – starting from the beginning with my cooking venture. This is mainly because when I try something too complicated it goes incredibly wrong and comes out tasting of nothing.
So was this simple? I think it was but typical Noodlebrains style I skipped a few steps. I did not make my own tomato sauce and used a jar of tomato and basil bolognese sauce.
This actually turned out to be too overpowering with the taste – hmmm so next time I will make the sauce with garlic, onions, tin tomatoes and basil and see what that will taste like (I imagine nothing lol).
I managed to grill the aubergine with garlic on top without burning either – result!
And I smothered everything in cheese, though for some reason the Gouda cheese did not look like it wanted to melt. Shame on it.
Wondering if it’s the cheese or if I just needed to leave it in the oven longer.
Either way, it’s relatively tasty, I’m not 100% sure if the aubergines are cooked but it’s nice and I hope to try this again with a few corrections (cheese that melts, longer cooking time for aubergines & homemade tomato sauce).
- 2 x Aubergines / Eggplant
- 400g Bolognese / Tomato Sauce
- 1 Block of Mozzarella Cheese
- 100g Gouda Cheese
- 3 Garlic Cloves Diced
- Olive Oil for spreading on the Aubergine
- Salt & Pepper for taste
- Cut the Aubergines lengthways and lay out on greaseproof paper
- Brush them with a little olive oil, sprinkle the garlic on top and place under the grill for 5 minutes
- In a baking dish, start the layers with the tomato sauce, then the grilled aubergine and then the mozzarella cheese
- Repeat until all the Aubergine is finished then finish off by sprinkling the Gouda cheese on top
- Cook for 25 minutes at gas mark 180oC fan